What’s in a Name? Through the Rainbow I

– Posted in: Miscellaneous

This post is now available at Hayefield:

Nancy J. Ondra
Nan gardens on 4 acres in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In the firm belief that every garden ought to have a pretentious-sounding (or at least pretentious-looking) name, she refers to her home grounds as "Hayefield." There, she experiments with a wide variety of plants and planting styles, from cottage gardens and color-based borders to managed meadows, naturalistic plantings, and veggies--all under the watchful eyes of her two pet alpacas, Daniel and Duncan.
Nancy J. Ondra

Latest posts by Nancy J. Ondra (see all)

GET UPDATES
Sign up and receive our latest garden inspiration straight to your inbox.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Lisa at Greenbow November 17, 2009, 6:08 am

You are giving that color wheel quite the turn. I am enjoying the spin.

Thanks, Lisa. I had no idea it would take three posts just to cover color names!

Frances November 17, 2009, 6:08 am

Hi Nan, you are the most wonderful of instructors! I guess I must be a plant geek, for I hung on every word, nodding when recognizing plants growing here with those names and having a sudden crystal clear understanding of what those names mean now. I was wondering about the seed grown Cuphea miniata that has been fabulous with shades of red and purple and now know. Thanks for the lesson. :-)
Frances

It’s been a great learning experience for me too, Frances. Many of the meanings are obvious, and some can be figured out, but oddballs are a real thrill to decipher. There’s even more to the story of “miniata”: the name came from the Minius River in Spain, where the red lead was first mined (according to http://en.wikilib.com/wiki/Red_lead). Pretty cool!

salix November 17, 2009, 8:11 am

Nan, you can add me to your count of ten. I love this. Maybe because English is not my first language (and I have been gardening for many years “in my native language”), I often find it much easier to know what plant is in question when the botanical name is used as I frequently don’t know the common English names. Quite a few of Danish common plant names are actually the same or close to the botanical names.
And your lessons on nomeclature are great.

Thanks, Lene! I too enjoy looking at garden blogs from other countries, and when they include the botanical names, I can learn something about plants that are new to me even if I can’t read the rest.

Dave November 17, 2009, 8:17 am

That’s a lot of good info! It will take several reads for it all to sink in!

Glad you liked it, Dave!

our friend Ben November 17, 2009, 9:19 am

Fantastic post, Nan! As a fan of both nomenclature and etymology, I’m definitely one of your ten. Keep ‘em coming!!!!

Hey, I think we’re up to at least a dozen now. The club is growing!

Sylvia (England) November 17, 2009, 10:08 am

Nan, I really enjoyed this – I just wish I could remember it all! Like Frances I recognised some of the words and plants, now if I could just work out how to pronounce them…

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

Oooh, no – I’m not even going to attempt the pronunciation issue. It’s hard enough getting the spelling right on some of these!

Christine November 17, 2009, 10:31 am

Count me in as one of the ten!

Welcome to the club, Christine, and to GGW!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter November 17, 2009, 10:55 am

Sanguinea always reminds me of consanguinity. (Yes, I remember stuff from Decedents’ Estates, even if I did tend to fall asleep in class). I love Latin.

Oh my, yes, that’s a lovely word, as fun to say as “exsanguinate” (and equally as difficult to work into a normal conversation).

Town Mouse November 17, 2009, 11:09 am

Amazing! I’d never thought there were so many variations on that theme.

Posts like this are one of the reasons I love this blog!

I really appeciate your comment, TM; it means a lot!

Gayle Madwin November 17, 2009, 4:18 pm

And then there’s puniceus, which is supposed to mean reddish purple, but which I keep seeing used for plants with distinctly scarlet red flowers, such as Mimulus puniceus and Sesbania punicea. What’s up with that?

I hear you, Gayle! Trying to unravel all the reds was a major challenge. Some sources claimed that a particular name related to scarlet and another would describe it as crimson or pure red. Maybe some of those male botanists were color-blind?

Country Mouse November 18, 2009, 2:04 pm

I just love words! reading this was like eating a whole box of different chocolates. Thanks so much.

Wow, high praise indeed! What a lovely thing to say, CM. Thank you!

Marie November 19, 2009, 7:54 am

Wa-hoo! What fun.
I’m working on ways to keep the latin in my brain. Such as – mycitronella candles are yellow.
Thanks for the exsanguinate.
I’ll be re-reading these posts through the winter. Something should stick by spring.

Good one, Marie: I like the citronella connection!

flower name November 19, 2009, 8:36 am

Thank you for this valuable post.