Picture This Photo Contest for October

weighing the crop“It’s the 5th of the month of October which means a new Picture This Photo Contest .

After having completed 6 months of what we initially said was an experiment, we can confidently say that Picture This has not only become a fun and much participated in contest but has also evolved into a photographic resource for gardeners who want to learn about more about specific plant material. So, a big thank you to all who have participated and continue to participate in Picture This. And for those of you who haven’t yet done so, this month is a perfect time to get your feet wet and select a photo to throw into the ring. You never know….

Who better to be the October judge than our own Saxon Holt, a GGW Regular Contributor and a prolific and highly respected photographer. Saxon has chosen the theme of ABUNDANT HARVEST. Below he describes the criteria that he’ll be using in selecting this month’s winners.

“When my turn came around to be the Picture This judge I had little trouble picking harvest time as my theme.  I have had a busy late summer photographing organic gardens, herb gardens and edible landscaping.  It seems everyone has a veggie garden.

The picture above was taken at Rosalind Creasy’s garden whose Edible Landscaping will be re-issued after 20 years next spring.  For an upcoming story in “Mother Earth News”, Ros grew a 100 square foot ornamental vegetable garden and weighed everything that came from it.  It is a pleasure and honor to work with Ros who was just inducted as a Garden Writer Fellow at last week’s meeting of 650 garden writers in Raleigh, NC.

Abundant Harvest basket

Abundant Harvest basket

Ros and renowned photographer David Cavagnaro invented the Abundant Harvest photo style – a signature, overflowing basket of luscious produce in a seemingly haphazard arrangement.  Ros has let me in on a few of her secrets.

What do you, our creative Garden Gone Wild readers have to show as autumn pushes summer aside ?  I will be looking for anything that says abundance in any season.

cucumber summer pickles

Did you put up some pickles ?

For a new book, Herbs From the Vegetable Garden, my friend Mimi and I put up some summer pickles up to help solve the problem of abundant cucumbers all ripening at the same time.

garlic harvest

Did you grow any garlic ? A couple of charming (nice word for old) trugs, tools and dusted off bulbs make for an abundant harvest photo. Maybe you harvested and made a garlic braid – show us your bounty.

dew on blueberries

Perhaps you went into the garden one dewy morn when moisture glistened on your berries.  Hopefully you brought your camera. This luscious scene certainly makes me want to eat blueberries – NOW.  The immediacy of a close-up photo works for this judge who wants to see photos that celebrate edibles in our gardens.

cherry tomatoes and petunias

Extra points will be awarded to colorful garden scenes like these cherry tomatoes captured in a garden with petunias. If the photo says “what a wonderful place”, then it becomes one that others want to look at too.

lavender harvest

This lavender was freshly cut and the light coming through the grasses beyond helps celebrate the harvest in the garden.  I wonder if the internet will ever allow us to smell. Oh my ! I wish I could somehow convey how the scent of this photo.

‘Tis the season of harvest and there are many ways to capture an abundant feeling with the camera.  All of you garden photographers have really surprised us with your creative interpretations of our Picture This themes.

child with strawberries at farmer's market

Photos need not have been taken in your own garden or even in this season. The sky is the limit for this month’s ABUNDANT HARVEST theme, including a photo at a local farmer’s market which can convey abundance and celebrate freshness.”

GGW-Bulbs[1].jpg-High Country Gardens-resized

For all of you who have been following Picture This since its inception, you already know that the magnificent collections of plants for each month’s reward has been given by David Salman of High Country Gardens.  For October’s contest, David has chosen a fabulous selection of 6 varieties of spring blooming bulbs for our grand prize winner.

Here is David’s description of them:

“This collection of 6 different spring flowering bulbs includes some of the best perennial bulbs that will provide color from early spring through early summer. They will all naturalize growing to form larger and more colorful colonies with each passing year.

Put the miniature Iris ‘Harmony’ together with Crocus ‘Yellow Mammoth’ for a great early spring duo. Use the Scilla ‘Spring Beauty’ for partial shade under trees or other shaded parts of your garden. Daffodil ‘Quail’ is one of the best, most floriferous and longest blooming of this genus. Allium ‘Jeannine’ is a delight in sun and part shade and is an excellent bulb for planting into groundcovers where its bright yellow flower heads will complement the groundcover’s flowers.”

We also have a surprise bonus this month for our Silver Medal Winner and two top runner ups. Sally Ferguson of International Bulb Centre is generously offering a collection of close to 100 bulbs in each parcel of 3 parcels called ‘BE GREEN’.  These are dazzling practically all white flowering bulbs which include: Crocus ‘Snowbunting’, Muscari armeniacum ‘White Magic’, Narcissus ‘Ice King’ and ‘Pueblo’, Hyacinthus ‘White Festival’, Tulipa ‘Spring Green’ and ’Greenland’ and Allium ‘Nigrum’.

So there you have it! ABUNDANT HARVEST is a great subject for this month, along with several mouthwatering prizes. For those of you who have never participated in Picture This, it’s simple. All you have to do is select one photograph, post it on your blog, and leave us a link in a comment below. We will only accept entries sent from blogs. The deadline is 11:59 pm Eastern time on Thursday, October 22nd with the winners announced on Tuesday, October 27th. Good luck to all, enjoy and get your entries in as soon as possible while the harvest is, for many of you, at its peak, abundant and looking scrumptious!

About Saxon Holt

Saxon Holt is the owner of PhotoBotanic, a garden picture resource for photographs, workshops, and garden photography stories. A landscape photographer and award winning photojournalist with more than 20 garden books, he lives and gardens in Northern California.

, ,

35 Responses to Picture This Photo Contest for October

1. joco October 5, 2009 at 8:57 am #

What gorgeous fruit and veg scenes up above.
    An early entry for a change ( so I can stop worrying about it ;-)
    My photo can be found at http://leafdays.blogspot.com/2009/09/harvest.html

Looking forward to seeing all the treasures from other bloggers’ gardens.

Joco-
    You started this contest off with a big bang. I love all of the fig photos, plus the leaves photo which is dazzling. Am assuming that it is the first ‘abundant’ fig photo that you are entering into the contest. Fran

2. Bren/ BGgarden October 5, 2009 at 9:42 am #

You must share the recipe for that canning herb photo you have featured on this post. WONDERFUL!

3. marmee October 5, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

i agree with joco…entering early is less stressful.
    my entry photo can be found on:

hope everyone who enters enjoys…good luck to everybody.
    happy autumn.

Marmee-
    So now I understand…it is the photo of the mouthwatering melons and berries that you want to submit for the contest. I can see why! Fran

4. Kat October 5, 2009 at 4:03 pm #

What wonderful photos above. Normally I wait so long I miss this, but not this time. My entry can be found here:

Kat-
    Your beautifully photographed basket of eggplants, tomatoes and pumpkins a feast for the eyes. Good luck! Fran

5. Marlene October 5, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

Here’s my entry. A very tough year in the vegetable garden has prompted me to take a different point of view.

Dear Marlene,
    The approach you took in entering a photo of Silphium integrifolium was a smart and thoughtful one. Your take on what constitutes an abundant harvest based on your climatic conditions makes a tremendous amount of sense. The photo is elegant and your words are of merit. Thank you so much! Fran

6. ESP October 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

Here is my entry for this months “abundant harvest” competition:

I look forward to seeing all the entries…
    ESP.

Philip-
    Fabulous photo of Malus robusta…an unusual subject matter for this contest. Way to go! Fran

7. TexasDeb October 6, 2009 at 11:00 am #

Wow – I will not be surprised if one of the early birds gets the worm this month. What great entries already in the lineup.

Here is mine:

Dear Deb-
    Stunning, stunning, stunning! I feel like I’m looking at still life painting. I concur with your thoughts about the term abundant harvest having been alive and well in our subconscious for dozens of years due to Thanksgiving feasts. Thanks for participating! Fran

8. marmee October 6, 2009 at 11:04 pm #

after much thought i had to add these photos to my original entry. there are so many ways to interpret an abundant harvest.

Marmee-
    Great, great blog. Not only terrific photos but a compelling story line, especially about your lost dog (which I’m so happy was found). But the 24,000 dollar question is which photo are you submitting for the contest? Is it the one of the ‘abundant Okra’. Please let us know specifically and thanks for joining in the fun! Fran

9. Jenny October 7, 2009 at 10:31 pm #

Thanks for hosting this photo contest. I took about 20 photos of my poms and had terrible trouble deciding which was the best. Some included a glass of the pure nectar. In the end this was the one I chose.

Dear Jenny-
    Your photo of the plethora of pomegrantes are mouthwatering. Well done ! Thanks for participating. Fran

10. Rothschild Orchid October 10, 2009 at 8:49 am #

I wasn’t sure I would be able to find anything to enter this month but I managed to snap something that made me smile, I hope you like it too!

RO :o)

Dear Rothschild Orchid-
    I’m glad that you decided to participate and that you new second hand camera has motivated you to snap photos wherever you go. Love your pumpkin ones. Am assuming that it is the first photo that you’re entering. Also, your blog is terrific. Fran

11. Diana October 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm #

My photo is a little different; it’s harvest in prep! En route to my mouth, that is. http://sharingnaturesgarden.blogspot.com/2009/05/garden-dinner.html#links

Unique photo…leeks, tomatoes, beans being prepped for a delicious meal. Great idea! Thanks so much for entering. Am a bit confused…I think I might have done something that mixed things up… I somehow lost your e-mail address and name (although it looks like it’s Robin). Thanks so much. Fran

12. Christine October 10, 2009 at 11:12 pm #

Hello! Thank you for this opportunity, my very first entry on my very first blog..what gorgeous photos so far!

Dear Christine-
    Great photo of the harvest at the farmers market in Ohio. Love the background of the pick up truck. Thanks for participating! Fran

13. Carolyn Parker October 11, 2009 at 11:49 am #

Here’s my ‘first time’ entry. Thanks for the fun!

Dear Carolyn-
    A dazzling photo! I’m so happy that you discovered GGW and decided to participate in Picture This Photo Contest. Good luck! Fran

14. Susie October 14, 2009 at 2:05 am #

Great theme this month…who doesn’t love a harvest! Here’s my entry,

Susie-
    I love it! The field of corn with the landscape behind it is stunning! Fran

15. MacGardens October 18, 2009 at 1:02 am #

Thanks for hosting this event once again. A stimulating theme indeed. My photo is the Lake Market image on http://macgardens.org/?p=1209.

16. Frances October 19, 2009 at 10:43 am #

I have created a page for the picture it entries to make it easier to keep track of them. Hope that is okay. Here is October’s abundance shot, it is the first photo:

October 2009 Entry

Frances

Dear Frances-
    For whatever reason, the URL isn’t working for me. Can you check it again? Thanks. Fran

17. healingmagichands October 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

First I have to say I have been in awe of the entries so far. The figs, the berries, the corn, the shiny veggies, the pure artistry of the presentations has been inspirational.

I am entering because I truly enjoy this contest. It makes me think about the subjects, I wander around obsessively trying to decide what would be the best depiction, what it all means — life, the universe, and everything. I love the challenge. This time, after all my ideas, it was the humorous presentation of harvest bounty that finally appealed to me. I hope you enjoy it too.

Healing Magic Hands-
    What can I say?? This might be the most unique entry we have ever received. It is fantastic, as is your story of how you went about making a decision on how to enter. Also love your huge tomato. Thanks for participating and good luck! Fran

18. Frances October 20, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

So sorry the link didn’t work, Fran. Maybe just the straight url will work better.

Dear Frances-
    If I was visiting you, I’d grab one of those figs off the platter and taste its juicy sweetness. Great photo! Fran

19. Radhika October 20, 2009 at 8:42 pm #

Wow, what fabulous entries.
    I have had such an abundant harvest of beans, eggplant, heirloom tomatoes, apples, that I was in a quandary what to use, but finally settled on this one. Pumpkins from our garden with orange flowers from Aloe ‘Johnson’s Hybrid’. http://www.native-again-landscape.com/wildflower-tshirts.html

Dear Radhika-
    Just gorgeous! I love the way the pumpkins are positioned so that their tops (and pumpkins themselves)
    are going in different directions Good luck! Fran

20. hannah October 21, 2009 at 9:44 am #

My pumpkin picture was taken a while back. I hope that is OK.
    Such nice pictures everywhere.

21. hannah October 21, 2009 at 9:46 am #

Oops. Forgot the address of the photo.

Sorry.

Hannah-
    Talk about taking a photo within the context of a larger theme! Whoever that little boy is, (your son??), it is a wonderful theme and certainly shows an abundant pumpkin harvest. Fran

22. mjb October 21, 2009 at 10:22 am #

lovely shots — all of them.

here’s my contribution: http://mjbotr.wordpress.com/

23. huni October 21, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

Excellent photos!
    Here is what i see when i think of abundant harvest: http://hobbygradina.ro/2009/10/21/abundant-harvest/.
    Greetings from Romania!

Dear Huni-
    All three photos are delightful but I think you were smart to go with the first one. Love the cut up carrots, along wit your robust cauliflower and elongated cucumbers. Great composition displaying a variety of shapes and colors. We’re delighted that you’re participating from Romania! Fran

24. Charlotte October 21, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

Great photos.
    Thought I’d join in the fun this month – here’s the link:

25. Caroline October 21, 2009 at 9:23 pm #

Lovely shots! Here’s my entry, in honor of those who gather harvests everywhere.

Dear Caroline-
    You certainly have capture the theme of abundance with those crops of okra. Also love that its a ‘long shot’ showing them being harvested. Terrific! Fran

26. Heirloom Gardener October 21, 2009 at 11:25 pm #

Here is my not-so-serious entry featuring some of this year’s heirloom tomatoes:

Dear Heirloom Gardener-
    Delightful choice of tomatoes….ready to be cut and eaten with some mozzarella and olive oil dribbled on top. Thanks for sharing. Fran

27. Charlotte October 22, 2009 at 2:58 am #

Oh dear… I’m not too good at this – I couldn’t even give the right link.. so I’ll try again!

28. Carolyn Parker October 22, 2009 at 11:09 am #

In the blog world this morning, I just found a post that seems apropos for sharing.

Dear Carolyn-
    I love that you begin with thoughts/quotes and then add pictures that mirror what has been written. And when it comes to Abundant Harvests, you have certainly captured it…especially with those red baskets in the middle…they add an exuberant element…thanks for entering the contest. Fran

29. the inadvertent farmer October 22, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

I almost forgot…
    All the photos are wonderful so far…that tomato is HUGE!!!

Here is mine

Dear Inadvertent Farmer-

What a beautiful photo you’ve sent in of the yellow peppers placed in a circle….just gorgeous. Am glad that you decided to participate! Fran

30. Lois J. de Vries October 22, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Hi All,

I’ve had this image percolating in my brain ever since you announced this month’s theme. Now that I’ve got my work done, I can sit back and take a peek at everyone else’s entry.

Regards,
    Lois

31. Jean October 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Well, I just barely made it! My post on Abundant Harvest can be found here: http://www.diggrowcompostblog.com/2009/10/picture-this-abundant-harvest.html. Now off to see all the other entries!

32. Raji October 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

hello,
    As always I had fun taking pictures and going through all wonderful entries here.

here’s my entry for this month’s contest.

33. Lois J. de Vries October 23, 2009 at 6:46 am #

OOPS, forgot the link! http://loisdevries.blogspot.com/2009/10/abundant-harvest.html

Lois

Dear Lois-
    Your photograph of Cherokee Plum Tomatoes, which I also love and think they are a stand out in the garden, along with other veggies, is beautiful.

You might want to check out the book that I wrote called ‘Digging Deep: Unearthing Your Creative Roots Through Gardening’, published by Hachette (formerly Warner Books). Your book on transformational gardening sounds like it may have some overlapping themes to Digging Deep. I understand from Nan that Digging Deep is now showing up on Nook. Let me know when your books are published. I want to see them. This is a subject that has not be given enough attention…am delighted that you are writing about it.
    The link to my book on Nook is:

All the best-Fran

34. Jean October 25, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

Hello, Jean again. I’m sorry but I forgot to say in my post that the 1st photo is the one I am submitting. Thanks!

35. the inadvertent farmer October 25, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

Fran…actually it was the first photo on the post. Sorry for the confusion! Kim