Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day – January 2008

‘Kumson’ forsythia Jan 15 08

I found one!!! I brought branches of ‘Kumson’ forsythia inside a week ago, but they haven’t done anything. Outside, though, a few buds are just about open. Fortunately, Fran has a more extensive post planned for tomorrow, so be sure to check back to see what she has to share. Now, I’m off to see what the rest of you have posted….

About Nancy J. Ondra

Nan gardens on 4 acres in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In the firm belief that every garden ought to have a pretentious-sounding (or at least pretentious-looking) name, she refers to her home grounds as "Hayefield." There, she experiments with a wide variety of plants and planting styles, from cottage gardens and color-based borders to managed meadows, naturalistic plantings, and veggies--all under the watchful eyes of her two pet alpacas, Daniel and Duncan.

13 Responses to Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day – January 2008

1. Jim January 15, 2008 at 10:37 am #

Well, that’s one more bloom than I’ve got!

Thanks for the support, Jim! After checking out what so many others are posting, I’m feeling rather inadequate at the moment.

2. carolyngail January 15, 2008 at 11:45 am #

Forsythia is always the first sign of Spring for me. How nice to be able to find one in bloom at this time.

Thanks! I enjoyed seeing your flowers too! (Gee, I almost said I enjoyed seeing your bloomers, but that would hardly be polite, would it?)

3. Frances January 15, 2008 at 2:41 pm #

Congratulations! I bet you’ll have lots next month. Thanks for posting the forsythia.

You’re very kind, Frances. Based on our usual weather patterns for the next month, I think it’s unlikely that anything will dare to open outdoors here on the next GBBD. But you never know!

4. Melinda January 15, 2008 at 5:38 pm #

So lovely! Looks like you’ll have lots more by Feb 15th!

Thanks for stopping in, Melinda! I don’t hold out much hope for outdoor blooms, but I may have to spring for some pansies or primroses to brighten the indoors.

5. Carol January 15, 2008 at 8:58 pm #

I thought about bringing in some forsythia branches a few days ago, but figured I was too late for this month’s bloom day. Maybe I need to see what’s going on with them outside!

I look forward to Fran’s post tomorrow!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Hi Carol! I thought giving the budded branches a week indoors would be enough, since they were so close to opening, but I guess not. Maybe they’ll open in time for February’s GBBD.

6. jodi January 15, 2008 at 10:41 pm #

One more bloom than I have too, Nan. Some people think forsythia is so common, but it’s one of those ‘happy-making’ plants for me. I’d like to try one of the double-flowered cultivars, or one that’s a bit truer gold than mine.I find ours is a bit on the greenish side, not much but not the blaze of gold that some are.

That’s funny, Jodi – the reason I like ‘Kumson’ so much, apart from its amazing variegated foliage, is because of its clear yellow to greenish yellow color. Around here, the golds appear everywhere, even in untended hedgerows. In large quantities, they’re kind of overwhelming. But at this point, I’m really looking forward to their return!

7. meems January 15, 2008 at 11:05 pm #

Nan: I’m so glad you found a bloom and the forsythia is not a bloom we see often down here. I can’t wait to see your garden in a couple of months. I am in love with your arbors and the layout of your land. All the photos from your past gardens are a welcome sight. Happy GBBD!

My goodness, Meems, what a nice thing to say. You’re very kind to comment on my one little bud when you have such an abundance of blooms in your own garden.

8. Lisa at Greenbow January 16, 2008 at 9:10 am #

Nan, it is exciting to see one of the first forsythia buds of the spring. I looked at my forsythia for blooms but only saw another promise of any buds.

Thanks, Lisa! I think it’s going to be a good while before I see any more, so I’m making the most of this one.

9. Nancy J. Ondra January 16, 2008 at 5:15 pm #

I can’t believe that you all resisted the urge to point out that I had titled this post with January 2007 instead of January 2008. I just now fixed it. Next time I mess up, feel free to tell me!

10. Kylee January 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm #

It’s rather amazing that it’s that time of year already that forcing of forsythia is possible. Can spring be far behind? LOL

Spring feels pretty far away today, but you’re right: It’s not really too long now!

11. Yolanda Elizabet January 17, 2008 at 11:56 am #

Hurray that you found a bloom for GBBD and that I (finally) found you. ;-) Your link didn’t work, you see.

I love forsythia; every year I have a few branches of it in a vase so I can enjoy them inside too.

Oops – I must have mis-typed (not unusual). I’m glad you found us, and thanks for visiting!

12. Ki January 17, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

There’s a forsythia in our neighborhood that has a handful of flowers in various stages of bloom. I thought it was a freak but since yours is blooming too, I guess it’s more a reflection of how warm it’s been this winter. Funny how one tiny blossom can lift one’s spirit!

Hey there, Ki! Yes, one little bloom has a lot of power at this time of year. This forsythia has actually been flecking blooms since October, so I’m not sure whether this one counts as a winter flower or an extra-early spring bloom.

13. kate January 18, 2008 at 10:16 am #

It must be wonderful coming across a forsythia at this time of year. Only 62 more days until spring!!

It *was* an unexpected treat, Kate. Now it’s covered with snow. But it was nice while it lasted!