Patrick Blanc…The Michelangelo of Vertical Gardening….In His Own words

Thanks to botanist and designer extraordinaire, Patrick Blanc, vertical gardening has become one of the hottest trends in gardening. Patrick has transformed what Westerners used to think of as vines climbing up a wall into a mesmerizing and sensual tapestry of plants that titillates your senses.

Watch this interview to see some of Patrick’s creations and hear what this visionary has to say.

If you enjoyed this video, you might want to check out an earlier article I wrote on Vertical Gardening.

About Fran Sorin

Fran’s book, Digging Deep: Unearthing Your Creative Roots Through Gardening, now considered a classic, was groundbreaking when published as no one had written about gardening in the context of creativity, spirituality, and transformation.

In addition to being a recognized garden expert and deep ecologist, Fran is a broadcaster, journalist, Ordained Interfaith Minister, and Soul Tender.

Google+ | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

, , , ,

13 Responses to Patrick Blanc…The Michelangelo of Vertical Gardening….In His Own words

1. carolyn mullet July 7, 2012 at 5:54 am #

This is great! I’ve been casting a skeptical eye wondering how these walls would fare long term. Now I understand better how the are designed. Thanks.

2. Lynn July 7, 2012 at 7:03 am #

That was so interesting! I love vertical gardening. I would love to try it some day but certainly not on his scale! Thanks for sharing!

3. Fran July 7, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Carolyn,
    Because of Patrick’s designs, several manufacturers have created ‘vertical gardening products’ that make the building of vertical walls simpler. Some have been very successful. The bottom line is that no matter what system is used, they all need maintenance and water….otherwise they can end up looking like a dead garden….except on a wall. But when done correctly…installation, design of plants, and maintenance..vertical gardens are magnificent. Fran

4. Fran July 7, 2012 at 7:07 am #

Lynn….Am glad you found the clip interesting. I’ve been studying the best way to build a vertical wall moderately priced. I’ll let you know once I’ve figured it out and start building it. Fran

5. ann July 7, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Will be so gladto see your advice, Fran, this is such a great way to garden

6. Margaret (Peggy) Herrman July 7, 2012 at 9:13 am #

thanks! just posted with attribution to my Orchid Ladies pages on FB and Twitter. Terrific ideas and actually would be so perfect for orchids. :-) Nice.

7. DAY July 7, 2012 at 10:37 am #

I guess I now have a name for the “thick as your wrist” poison ivy vines growing to the tippy tops of my 80′ locust trees!

8. Ramsay Harik July 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Wonderful! But I saw lots of tropical plants on these walls–what happens in the Paris winter, I wonder?

9. Snowbird July 10, 2012 at 8:27 am #

Brilliant stuff, I’m getting more and more interested in these living walls that are beginning to appear everywhere.

10. Fran July 10, 2012 at 10:04 am #

Dina…..They are addictive. A great place to get more information is: http://www.greenroofs.org. :) Fran

11. Nathan July 10, 2012 at 11:26 am #

What is the best mulch for vertical gardens so that the plants stay in and the garden stays vertical?

12. Fran July 11, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Nathan…..I will need to pass your question on….I don’t know. Fran

13. Ryan July 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

That’s a great find. I’d read interviews, but had never seen him speak. I really like the wall he did in San Francisco.